Selling Shares with Power of Attorney (POA)

$300 million+ in shares sold

42,000+ share sale customers

Secure & Confidential

Selling Shares with Power of Attorney (POA)

If you have Power of Attorney (POA) and wish to sell shares on behalf of a friend or loved one, we can help you. There are many occasions where the shareholder is unable to act for themselves, therefore a power of attorney allows an agent to initiate and authorise the share sale on their behalf. POA share sales are quite common with Sell My Shares, and the process is very easy. 

Selling Shares With POA

How to Sell Shares with Power of Attorney

Step 1: Complete the Online Share Sale Form

The first step is completing the share sale form which can be accessed by clicking the “Sell Shares Now” button on the top right of our website. This takes about 5 minutes to complete and is performed completely online.

In the form you can specify that you are completing a Power of Attorney share sale, and this will ensure you are provided with the relevant instructions.

Step 2: Complete the Online ID Check

Once the share sale form has been submitted, you will receive an email which asks you to read and accept the terms and conditions, and complete a short, online ID verification check. Click on the “Finish Share Sale” link in the email to initiate the online ID verification process.

Step 3: Send us the Required Documents

Lastly, you will need to email us at [email protected] with the following documents:

1) Recently Certified copy of the attorney’s ID (eg driver’s licence/passport)
2) Recently Certified copy of the signed POA document
3) Recently Certified copy of the shareholder’s ID*

*If no driver’s licence or passport is available for the shareholder, you can provide us with a certified copy of the shareholder’s birth certificate, as well as a certified copy of a recent bill with the shareholder’s name on it, such as a nursing facility statement or utility statement.

Getting Your Documents Certified:

To obtain certified copies, simply follow the instructions below:
  1. Find a person who can certify documents:
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Commissioner of Oaths
    • Solicitor, or
    • Police Officer from the State you reside in (needs to include their Badge Number)
  2. Ask them to certify a copy of the document. They can do this by copying the document and writing the following text “I certify that this is a true and correct copy of the original document sighted on ___/___/ YYYY”. They must record their name, address and registration number (if applicable, say for a Justice of the Peace).
  3. Scan or take a legible photo of your certified copy, and email it through to us at [email protected]